Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Where The Magic Happens


Being submerged in the yoga world, as a regular practitioner and as a teacher, I hear a lot of conversations around me about what yoga is, what yoga does, how you should do yoga, which style of yoga is the best, which style of yoga is the worst, and everything in between. But yoga is yoga..is yoga, which is.. yoga. Whether or not I am in a heated room, practicing vinyasa flow, taking a restorative approach in a yin class.. whether I am taking this person or that person’s class.. it all happens here, on my mat. My magic carpet ride.. and boy, is it bumpy..
 

My yoga mat has absorbed every intention I have offered up during a practice, and has convinced me that I have the power to become the very best version of myself if I choose to.

It has soaked up the tears I have poured out into it & the pain I have felt in my heart.. it has helped me accept what is and let go of what was, purifying my soul in the process.

It has reminded me over and over that I live a life abundantly blessed, and that gratitude is where joy can be found.

My yoga mat holds the quivers of my weakened spirit on the days when I don’t feel like I’m good enough. It reminds me that I am.

It holds me in child’s pose when I cannot muster the strength to press forward, and reassures me that the sweet embrace of the unwavering earth below is waiting to catch me when I’m ready to let go.

It has silently observed the friendships I've made practicing next to like-minded people, who open their hearts and minds, share their expressions of hope and strength, and give me sweaty hugs no matter what.

I have relaxed in bliss on my yoga mat. I have cried my eyes out. I have fallen to my knees, fought battles, found courage - I have found myself.

It is on my yoga mat that I learned how to breathe, to find peace in the present moment and savor every second that I am still breathing.

Yoga is yoga. And we shouldn’t judge others based on the style of yoga that they choose. 


Yoga transforms lives.. ALL of it.

If we are making a choice to consciously step onto our mat and let the process take place, we are exactly where we need to be.

Namaste.

Tammy Fodrey
Follow Tammy on Instagram @tammyfodrey & @nanoloveforlife 

No comments:

Post a Comment